Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sonya's Buttermilk Banana Nut Muffins

Who is Sonya? She is a new friend I have made through the world of blogging. Sonya, an American expat living in the Netherlands blogs on Home Cooking with Sonya. It's hard not to fall in love with her blog(Go, take a look and you will know what I am saying). Her writing, pictures, recipes, I look forward to them everyday. She has been a guiding force for me, encouraging me with her comments on my blogs. Our countries are neighbors and I hope maybe someday we will meet.


        Last month in one of her posts, I had commented that I would try out one of her recipes and would blog about it. Well today is the day. The kids were hungry for muffins, and Sonya's blog had plenty to choose from. With the over ripe bananas lying in the fruit basket, I chose to go ahead with the Buttermilk Banana Nut muffins. Sonya's measures were in cups. I have mentioned before that my cups are more so mugs. So, what I did was transferred all her ingredients from cups into a measuring bowl to make it simpler for my readers. Here goes the recipe:

     Ingredients :

  • 500 gm flour
  • 100 gm sugar
  • 150 gm brown sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  •  250 ml buttermilk
  • 250 ml vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 ripe bananas mashed
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

     Method :
  1. Line a muffin tin with liners. Preheat oven to 180 deg celsius.
  2. Sieve flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
  3. In a bowl combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg. Beat well till thoroughly combined. Add sugar and continue to beat. Add mashed bananas and mix well.
  4. Slowly add the sieved flour to the mixture and mix well.
  5. Drop in spoonful of batter into the muffin holder. Sprinkle nuts(I crushed them with my hand) on top.
  6. Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until done(An inserted toothpick should come out clean). Makes 24 muffins.
  7. Serve warm with tea or coffee.

Sonya didn't warn me in her blog about the heady aroma of baked bananas my house would be filled with. True to her words, they were the softest and moistest muffins we have tasted. It has been pretty hard keeping Anna away from them. Seeing her eat, I am reminded of the Indian advertisement with the slogan "NO ONE CAN EAT JUST ONE". Thanks Sonya for the recipe. I am gonna try many more...

1 comment:

  1. YAY..Im so glad you liked them! they are crazy good aren't they! lol My husbands co workers who are always on a diet inhaled them when he took them into work. I need to make more! I've only made them once and we still talk about how much we loved them.
    Thanks so much for the wonderful things you said about me! I was just talking to my husband tonight how much I wish that you and I could meet up before you went back home..So lets make sure it happens :)

    ReplyDelete