Thursday, March 11, 2010

Warm Lemon Syrup Cake


It's been four years since Vinay gifted me this book for my birthday. I didn't have an oven then, so even before he could buy one, he decided to gift me this book with glorious cake recipes. So it was with this book that I continued to dream of an oven and baking. When the oven did arrive, I was a busy working woman, no time to try laborious recipes.

So now that I have all the time in the world, and have mastered the art of baking, I pulled out my dear book and here goes what I prepared today.....

Ingredients :-

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • One and a half cup self raising flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 5 tablespoons candied lemon peel, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the syrup :-
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • juice of 3 lemons

  • Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat well for 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
  • Preheat the oven to 180 deg. Grease a deep round 8-inch cake pan.
  • Put the batter into the prepared pan, spread level and bake for an hour or until golden and firm to the touch, ( I baked for an hour and a half).

  • Make the syrup with the sugar, lemon juice and 5 tablespoons of water in a pan. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then boil without stirring for 1-2 minutes.
  • Turn out the cake onto a plate with a rim. Prick the surface with a fork, then pour on the hot syrup.

  • Let soak for about 30 minutes. Serve the cake warm with coffee. ENJOY!!!!



                                    

5 comments:

  1. oh.... my mouth is watering! I have a weakness for lemon cake! Great post =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, anything with lemon or orange calls out to me. Such a simple but lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tony, Denise and Sharon!!!!!!!!!!! The cake does taste delicious and different (according to Vinay)!! :-)

    ReplyDelete